gen_42.1.gifgen_269.1.gifAboutLinksAlbumEventsRetired MembersSafety TipsPostingsPosts (cont.)FF Mike DeLane FundOBITUARIESFor Sale/ WantedVeteran Memorial WW 2Site Mape-mail me


Posts (cont.)

Scholarship Raffle 50/50 2013


Kathleen McGovern-Fiore Memorial February 16 at 4:47pm · . I'd like to thank all who support the scholarship fund and help Kate's name and memory live on year after year. Your generosity is greatly appreciated. You who have donated made this year's raffle prize $2,090. And the 2015 winner has raffle ticket #2724. Congratulations! I'd also like to send a thank you to all the McGoverns and the Fiores for all their hard work on this 50/50. God bless, Dante This years raffle was won by a retired Newark firefighter with a long and distinguished career

FF Michael J. DeLane Fund


Well the holidays are upon us, and the end of another year is here. On behalf of the F/F Michael J. Delane Memorial Fund I would like to wish all of our friends and family's A Merry Christmas, a Happy Holiday season, and a great New Years. Again we distributed thousands of dollars in contributions and in food, throughout the area. St. Johns Food kitchen, Sisters of Charity food kitchen ( Plus 100 turkeys for family's on Thanksgiving). Among other recipients, MS, MDA, Special Olympics, St Baldricks Foundation, Homes for our troops, Helping returning injured members of our armed services. Our own comrades, and family members in need. The Memorial mass, The Newark Firefighters Pipeband. The Newark F.D. Historical society. and many more. Again we made our annual visits to local hospitals children's wards with Santa, Rudolph, and elves. Bringing tons of smiles to those who won't be home with there loved ones for Xmas. We left a beautiful 42" TV and sound system at Beth Israel abused children's ward. And also had a great time at UMDNJ. Santa had some special friends with him, Roudolf ( Joey Delikat ) and elf Thomas ( 39 1/2 and out) Mc Govern, who for years, has been a super supporter of all our activites of the Delane fund and all Fire dept functions. A true friend, a great Firefighter, Captain, and B.C. Ret F/F Tony Frankavilla for his contributions of toys All of this would not be possible without the support of our members and many others. B.C. Jack Doll and the Vic Lardiere golf tournament. Jack has been a great friend and supporter from the start. The Streets of Fire Motorcycle Club, and all it's members, Pres. Chuck West and the Newark Firefighters Union. Pres. John Sandella and the Newark Fire Officers Union. Our friends at the Newark Hispanic Firefighters Asso. Capt.Damian Emerick. Who's always there for everybody. D.C. Mike Nasta and D.C. Rick Zieser and the staff at the trainning academy and special operations for all there help. To those who help and our fundraisers and activites, Day at the Races, Octoberfest, I thank you with all my heart. Again I wish you all the very best and ask you to think of those less fourtunate and come out and join us in our mission, to help others and have a great time doing it. Also let me thank another great supporter and friend of the Delane fund and the Newark Fire Dept Rob Lynch and all his staff at Killkenny Ale house at Central and Halsey st. Great Food, booze and always a great time. Please visit and support Rob, The Offical practice and drinking hole of the Newark Firefighters Pipeband. Stay Safe, stay warm. Steve DeCeuster

Post from "Down Under"


Hi, Tom, Thanx for passing along the saddening info on Joe. It brought a tear or two to my eyes. While I can't be there to visit my old friend, I did call the hospital and spoke with his wife. She told me of his condition and that he wasn't able to speak. I asked her to give him a message from me. I said, "Tell him he's not going anywhere until I get that chocolate cake he owes me!! Tell him to get off his ass, get down here, and he'd better have that cake!!" She began to laugh. I told her how Joe and I grew up together on Isabella Avenue, and that we went to Alexander Street School together. We kinda parted ways for a while until I saw him standing out in front of 7 Truck one day while I was passing by. We found out we got on the job around the same time. I started riding with The Squad and he eventually transferred there. I rode with him for several years. After I moved away, Joe kept in touch with me via e-mail and through my first website, which he visited often and took an active part in. Then I got word he had gotten sick, and then he worsened over time. I also told his wife about a fire I was at where I was shooting video, and Joe was walking toward the camera. He got that evil smirk on his face and grabbed his crotch, as Joe would do. A couple of weeks later, I was showing my recent fire videos to my parents, and that bit of film came on. I said, "Mom? You recognize him? That's Joe D'Alise from Isabella Avenue." Well, she thought he hadn't changed a bit, and was happy to hear he became a fireman. Then came the part where he grabbed his crotch. Her eyebrows raised, she cursed in Polish, started to laugh, and said, "And I used to think he was such a nice boy!" I said, "Well you don't know Joe, do you??" LOL!! His wife then went on to tell me that Joe had about four days left, and about the funeral arrangements. I told her that I was terribly sorry that I wasn't going to be able to be there as I live in New Zealand now. I told her that Joe had been in my prayers since I found out he was sick, and that I would continue to pray for him and his family. Please feel free to pass this along, Tom. Be Safe, Hank

FF Thomas Silk U.S.N.


Tom was the first firefighter from Newark to die while serving during WW2. Thomas was born during 1900. At the age of 17, he entered World War I in the Navy. On 6/6/1919, he was honorably discharged from the Navy. He started his Career with the Newark Fire Department on 6/9/1925, when he was appointed and issued Badge #378. On 6/16/1925, he was assigned to the School of Instruction to be taught about fire fighting. He left the School of Instruction on 7/16/1925 and was assigned to busy Truck 5. He later served with Engine 26 and on 8/14/1941, he transferred down town to another busy Company at Truck 1. With the United States entering World War II, Thomas re-enlisted as a Coxswain with the Navy on 1/12/1942. That night, a party was held at Truck 1's quarters for Silk and Eugene Reilly, Jr., also of Truck 1, who was recently drafted and about to leave for the War. Ten days later on 1/26/1942, Silk left for the War onboard the USS Spry, which was a Gun Ship in the Corvette Class. The USS Spry sailed from the Northern Island on 5/20/1942 as an escort for a convoy of ships headed to Argentina. During a battle on 9/27/1942, Thomas suffered a heart attack and died. He was the first member of the N. F. D. to lose his life in World War II. His body was sent back to Newark and buried at Holy Sepulcher Cemetery in Newark. On the one-year anniversary of his death, a plaque affixed to a large rock was dedicated in his memory and a Park was named after him. The Thomas Silk Memorial Park was located at the intersection of North First & Fourth Streets in Newark. In the last 1970's, due to vandals, the rock and plaque were relocated to the grounds of the new Training Academy on Jersey Street. On 9/1/2003, the Training Academy was moved to a new firehouse and training facility on Clinton Avenue. It was decided to clean up the rock and plaque and re-dedicate it at a ceremony to be held on May 27th, 2005 at the new firehouse.

Help Our Troops


-----Original Message----- From: To: Sent: Wed, May 26, 2010 12:39 pm Subject: Donation Steve, I just received your generous donation from the Michael J. DeLane memorial fund. Usually I always have a joke or wisecrack but this is a cause that is very close to my heart. We have to continuously remind our troops that we have not forgotten them and never will. Please dont forget to send me a few addresses of troops we know. My only criteria is that they are serving in a war zone. The contents of my packages are geared that way. My son advised me of the things they need but cant get. They really appreciate it. I got a beautiful letter the other day from a Marine in some shithole in Afghanistan.Makes your day. Anyhow, I cant thank you enough but I can buy you a cold one next time we hook up. Till then, take care of your big ass and thanks again. ED

New Book


Hi Everyone, The next book of the Newark Fire Oral History series, Riots to Renaissance, is now available! Continuing where Volume IV Responding left off, Riots to Renaissance follows the story of the NFD through the 1967 Riots into the beginnings of a rebirth. (If you have read A View from the Firehouse: The Newark Riots, Riots to Renaissance will give you the view from around the firehouse kitchen table.) The first three volumes of the series introduced the city, her fire department, and the men who served on that department. Responding rolled out into the streets of Newark where our work is done. Now you can read the words of the men who braved the fury of the inner city those July nights in 1967 and fought the fires of the "war years" when the social structure of the city was collapsing and major fires where being fought every 13 hours. Even with all of this work there were demotions and layoffs. The effect this had on the members of the NFD and how they dealt with it are recounted in each story of personal perseverance. When the city finally began a fledgling turn around, the men in Newark's firehouses were the first to notice (although some remain skeptical). Continue the journey through the history of the NFD and the city as told by the men who lived it in Riots to Renaissance. Go to for ordering information. Stay safe. Neal Stoffers

Posted Aug. 5


Tom, God Bless the boys for making this trip to honor Harry Singer. He was a neighbor of mine on Isabella Avenue in the Burg. He lived and breathed 20 Engine. He was a gentleman and as I found out after I joined the Fire Department a hellava fireman. I'm sorry I can't get to DC to pay my respects, but I think it's great that our boy's will be there. Safe trip. Brother Ed McCarthy

Capt. Harry Singer Funeral


Lt. Harry Singer U.S. Army WW2 was buried at Arlington National Cemetery on Aug.12,2010. The NFD Pipe Band had the honor of participating at his families request. Harry retired from the NFD 1974. He was recipient of the Bronze Star and Purple Heart for service in the Pacific theater. He had 10 sons and daughters and 25 grandchildren.

Retired Picnic


Yesterday Aug. 18, I attended the Retired Pol. & Fire Picnic in Bayville NJ. It was great to see the entire history of the Newark Fire Dept. before my eyes. These were guys that shaped the the fire department during the years when being a firefighter meant more than a paycheck,because most of them started the job well below 8 grand a year.These were good men, many are WW2 and Korea and VN vets that went through the riots in Newark and never missed a days work. The job has taken a toll, most had stories of operations, medical ailments, cancers and thoughts of our dead brothers that could not attend. For some it would be the last picnic they will attend. It is gatherings like this that only a member of the brotherhood can appreciate.I salute them all. " Non Sibi" TPM

Open Letter of Thanks


Dear Chief McGovern, Captain Steve De Ceuster, the Michael J. DeLane Memorial Fund, and past and present members of the Newark Fire Department, On behalf of my wife Suzanne and my entire family, I wish to express my heartfelt thanks and appreciation for your support and generous gift this past weekend through the Sussex Elks and the Family Fun Day in support of my son Joshua and his medical expenses. Since July of 2009, my son has been battling Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. As you can imagine, the costs for his treatments can be formidable and the portion not covered by insurance quickly multiplies. Your gift will go directly to satisfy a portion of Joshua's medical expenses. Thank you again for investing in my son. Your gift is a testimony to all and a reminder that Newark firefighters are some of the best people in the world. With much appreciation, F/F Jeff Lukawski, retired

Brother in Need


I thought you might be interested in this article. Hi Chief, I was hoping you could post this article about a fundraiser for retired F/F Jeff Lukawski's son. His family has been fighting the heart wrenching fight of having a young one with cancer. When I was in NJ last Summer I got to meet with Josh and he is one brave little guy. Thanks, Dennis Caufield Family Fun Day Sunday to help Wantage boy, 8, battle leukemia Family Fun Day Sunday to help Wantage boy, 8, battle leukemia On Sunday, a fundraiser will be held for Josh, who has leukemia. By CHRISTINA TATU WANTAGE — For Josh Lukawski, Sept. 7 wasn’t just the start of third grade at the Clifton E. Lawrence School, it marked a milestone in the 8-year-old’s grueling treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Because of his therapy, which requires daily chemotherapy, spinal taps at three-month intervals, and periodic bone marrow biopsies that monitor the medication’s effects on the cancer, Josh was home schooled for all of second grade. While he still has 21/2 years of treatment left, the boy is now considered to be in remission, allowing him to return to regular classes. “I missed my friends and seeing my (second grade) teacher (Barbara Gellner). I only got to see her one or two times a month,” he said. “I didn’t like being lonely.” His parents, Jeff and Suzanne Lukawski, will never forget the day they found out their son had cancer. Several weeks before the July 6, 2009, diagnosis, Suzanne Lukawski took her son to the doctor for strep throat. Around that time, the family also noticed Josh began having night sweats, but it didn’t stand out as unusual. Two weeks later, Josh’s glands were still swollen, so it was back to the doctor they went, this time to test for mononucleosis, but that was negative. Two weeks later, his mother noticed a “big, angry looking bruise” on Josh’s thigh. “It looked like he was hit by a baseball and he couldn’t remember how he got it,” she said. Later that day the family noticed a “petechiae rash” — small red or purple marks — spreading across Josh’s body. It was a Saturday, and by Monday, the family had rushed him back to the doctor’s office. “We weren’t thinking it would be anything at all like cancer,” but the doctor ordered Josh be taken immediately to Morristown Memorial Hospital for testing, Jeff Lukawski said. Two hours later, Jeff Lukawski joined his wife at the hospital where doctors confirmed the worst. Josh had acute lymphoblastic leukemia, a type of leukemia that can be more severe because it often shows up in the spinal column and brain. A test that Monday showed 90 percent of Josh’s bone marrow was cancerous. Luckily, a spinal tap showed the cancer had not made its way to Josh’s brain or spine. Still, doctors started chemotherapy that afternoon. “I can get by now saying, ‘My son has cancer,’ without crying, but I still get choked up sometimes,” Jeff Lukawski said. The strongest of Josh’s treatments are behind him now, but he still must continue to take daily oral chemotherapy and intravenous treatments every two months. Spinal taps given at three-month intervals will continue to ensure the cancer isn’t spreading to his brain. Josh has had 16 spinal taps so far, but luckily he’s sedated for the painful test. The family is hoping a fundraiser Family Fun Day, that is to be held on Sunday will help cover some of the cost of the treatments. Due to complications, Josh been hospitalized 10 times since his diagnosis. Each hospitalization cost around $20,000, his father said. On the family’s dining room table, sits a binder nearly eight inches thick full of lab reports from Josh’s various tests. “This whole thing has really put us through the wringer, emotionally, physically and financially,” Jeff Lukawski said. Even if the rest of Josh’s treatment proves successful, he will continue to be monitored with blood tests and physicals for the rest of his life, Suzanne Lukawski said. The family credits their church, The Lafayette Federated Church, and the power of prayer with getting them through the ordeal. For the first eight months of Josh’s treatment, church members prepared homemade meals three days a week, which they delivered to the Lukawskis. A special prayer chain was also started in the boy’s honor. The Lukawskis received e-mails from missionaries as far away as West Africa who say they are praying for a full recovery. “It was a time of growth for us as Christians,” Jeff Lukawski said. “The prayer chain was a tangible way for us to find out that we are not alone,” his wife said. Family Fun Day, a fundraiser for Josh The event will feature a barbecue with hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken, homemade salads and dessert. There will also be children’s games, a dunk tank, horse shoes, Penny Whistle and clown. When: Sunday, Noon to 5 p.m. Where: Sussex Elks Lodge 2288, 152 Lewisburg Road, Wantage Cost: $20 for age 14 and up, $10 for children 6-13. Children under 5 get in free. For more information: Call Kim Larese 862-266-5043 or Dawn O’Dell, 973-903-9196. aper for news, sports, schools -

Farewell Brothers


Tom, please post this on the website. Thanks YJ. I would just like to thank all of my BROTHER FIREMEN that I have worked with over the past 26 years of my career, for all of the great times and memories that I have. As it has always been said " This is the GREATEST job in the world." But for me, it hasn't been a job. I looked forward each and every day to go to the firehouse. This is why this is a true calling for all of us. It wasn't like punching a time clock and going to work. This is what we do and it meant so very much to me to call all of you BROTHERS. There is nowhere in this whole world, in any job, where people share the bond we have as FIREMEN. The good times, the bad times, and the in between times. We were always there for each other. And for that I am proud to be one of you. So many of you have taught me so much about this job, and I am so thankful for that.So many of us are no longer with us, but the great memories and stories we have will always keep them in our hearts. I really wasn't ready for this retirement, but like all the senior FIREMAN always said " Kid you'll know when it's you're time." I guess this was my time. To all of you, it has been my HONOR and PRIVELIGE to have served with you in the greatest fire department in the world. Always take care of each other because each other is all we have. Keep this job forever in your heart as I have for the past 26 years and always will. Thanks for all the great times and the memories. STAY SAFE AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL ALWAYS. Jim "YJ" Weiss

Letter of Thanks


----- Original Message ----- From: JTL To: Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2010 8:42 AM Subject: Letter of Appreciation Dear Newark Fire Department Pipe Band, Deputy Chief Ken Marcell (Ret), F/F Donald Gilmartin (Ret), and members of the Newark Fire Department, On behalf of my family, I wish to express my deep appreciation for your generous gift in support of my son Joshua and his ongoing medical expenses. My son's fight against Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia will require that he remain on a daily chemo therapy regimen for the next two years and your gift will go directly to meet some of his medical expenses that insurance doesn't cover. Some of the hardest words that a parent will ever hear from a physician are "your son has cancer" but in spite of the difficulties associated with my child's disease, my wife and I have often been encouraged by acts of kindness and generosity by others and now again by the members of the NFD Pipe and Drum Band. The members of this fine organization are much more than a marching band and your act of charity once again proves the benevolent character of the members of the Newark Fire Department. May God bless you all. With much gratitude, F/F Jeff Lukawski, Ret.

Brendan M. Gilroy USMC

Gilroy USMC.jpg

In a message dated 10/18/2010 6:14:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, writes: Dear Friends and Family: Berlinda and I are happy to announce that our youngest son, Brendan M. Gilroy, has become the newest member of the United States Marine Corps. Brendan is enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve for a period of 6 months after which he will go active duty Marine Corps and go to boot camp. His ship out date is April 18th, 2011. We all know that it is a tough time for our young men and women to join the military service but Brendan feels it is a challenge he wants to accomplish. He is a die hard patriot and feels he has an obligation to us and to our country. WE support him 100%. Of course we are proud and nervous at the same time but this has been a dream of his for many years. He is working hard to get ready to serve our country...he runs and works out 6 days a week in preparation for his departure to boot camp. We support him and hope you all will too with your positive attitude about his decision and your verbal encouragement! GOD BLESS AMERICA AND ALL WHO PROTECT HER! Sincerely, The Proud Parents of our newest Marine, Berlinda and Michael Gilroy

Silver Star Awarded


Capt. Davey Jones (Ret) has officially recieved his Silver Star for his bravery in combat during the Viet Nam war. He also recieved a Bronze Star for a second engagement. There was a clerical problem that caused the long delay. Congratulations Dave.

Promotions Nov. 12,2010


New Battalion Chiefs Nov. 12, 2010 Donnelly, Brian Adams, Raynard L Olohan, John P (Deferred) Emerick, Damian J Costa, James Burke, Jeffrey R Cocchi, Donald T Deceuster, Steven P Malave, Raul

The Passing of Capt. Jim Mooney


The Passing of Capt. Jim Mooney Jim Mooney left us the other day and a finer man I have never met. I first got to know Jim as a young fireman roving my way around the city. As the Captain of Rescue One he had a tight knit crew of seasoned veterans. They were old school guys who could separate the serious from the benign. They got along well. He loved to tell the story of how they were summoned to a frat party on Washington St., by me, to cut a friend of mine out of a Murphy bed which had become lodged in the upright position. Jim and his men did so without batting an eye. They had Big Dugan out of there in no time and turned a pretty tense situation for this young firemen into a good laugh, he never even asked how he got stuck in the first place. Jim had a way of doing that to people, making them all feel at ease and appreciated and in our profession these attributes are a gift that are all to often in short supply. He could bring out the best in everyone he met even in the toughest circumstances. If you knew Jim you were his friend it was just that simple. The Newark Fire Department as I knew it was always a family and Jim our brother. Without men like Jim Mooney any semblance of the camaraderie and esprit de corpse that has served this job so well would have been lost to a whole generation of young firemen and the Newark Fire Department a very different place. To many of us this has never been a job it is a way of life and brother Mooney made it a life totally worth living. Jim was a man of service not only as evidenced by his embrace of our profession but by the way he went about his life's work. He was the consummate firefighter both on and off the job. When the bell hit, as it did many times during Newark's darkest days, he answered the call and laid his life on the line alongside his many brothers and when one of our own was injured or even killed Jim was there for them too. His work with our Holy Name Society and his close association with our beloved Chaplain Msgr. Horton Raught brought comfort to our families grieving the loss of a loved one. If any of his brother firefighters were in need of anything, whatever the situation, Jim was there. If you were having a fund raiser, retirement party, promotions Jim would be there to show his support and provide at least a portion of the entertainment. But that was Jim's way, a shining example to all of us who have followed, he enriched our vocation. Jim was loved by everyone who knew him and he knew everybody. The only ones he may have had a problem with were the housemen of the fire department who had to replace all the dishes that were broken during one of his renditions of "Danny Boy". Our Brother Jim faced many personal challenges in his life, challenges that would have brought many men to their knees. Once again Jim, the teacher, showed us the way and taught us all a lesson in faith and perseverance. We mourn his loss not so much for him for he is fine and with the Lord now. Rather, we grieve for us the living who go on in a world devoid of one of it great personalities, one of it's great humanitarians. To Mary and the family I think I speak for the entire Newark Fire Department Community when I say thank you. Thank you for sharing your husband, your father, your friend with all of us. We are all better for it and we owe you a debt of gratitude which could never be repaid. So Rest in Peace O good and faithful servant, you've been ordered up Capt., good job! We pray that the angels give you safe passage as you return to your eternal quarters in heaven. We take solace in the fact that as you reside with the lord you intercede for us, your brothers, as we fulfill our own legacies of service. May you enjoy the protections that you so humbly provided your fellow man throughout your career and throughout your life. You will be missed, you will always be our brother and I'm proud to have called you my friend. Jack Doll Posted Nov. 18, 2010

Reply to Chief Doll Eulogy


Chief Doll...Thank you for an amazing "eulogy" for Jim Mooney. Knowing Jim and his family all my life, I completely agree with your sentiment. I grew up with his youngest son, Jack (known to us then as John Michael) who left us WAY too early in life. You're so right when you speak of Jim's strength and faith that helped his family through the loss of Jack and older sister, Sharon. Parents should never have to bury their children. I spoke for a while to Jim's son, Jimmy, at the wake and he seemed "drained" and void of emotion when he told me he just lost his best friend. I tried to remember similar feelings when I lost my father, a very similar man to Jim. However, for the sake of not sounding cliche and knowing that not much was going to penetrate Jim,Jr's mindset at that point, I simply said, "he's not gone, he's YOU now". I guess we can only rely on our faith that that statement is true. I love thinking that my father is still very much alive in me, and maybe we can hope that Jim will remain alive in Jimmy, as well as the rest of the Mooney family. As you well know, Jim's presence 4 of the past 5 years at the Blaze on the Beach will be sorely missed. He used to sing "Danny Boy" there for the boys, but always secretly told me as I handed him the microphone that he was singing it for me. I had told him that my father had named me "Danny" and not "Daniel" after the song and it always had special meaning to me. No one could ever do it better and I could never put into words what I felt as he belted out the words to hundreds of half-drunk yet amazingly quiet brother firefighters. We'll certainly have a moment there this year for him. Just wanted to share those few thoughts with you ,chief. We will miss him. Danny Farrell Posted Nov. 21, 2010

Capt. Frank Conville Story Asbury Park Press Nov. 28,2010